Do you want to make a delicious treat for a birthday, or are you looking for a spectacle for dessert at Christmas dinner? This recipe shows you how to make your own delicious lactose-free profiteroles. You can also turn these profiteroles into a beautiful profiteroles tower! Read the recipe below.
Preparation time: 45 minutes + 18 minutes oven time
For approx. 24 profiteroles you will need:
- 250 ml water
- a pinch of salt
- 50 grams lactose-free butter
- 150 grams flour,
- sieved 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- powder sugar (from rice syrup)
For the crème patisserie you will need:
- 2 drops of lactase drops
- 300 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, pulp scraped out
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 grams of sugar (from dried glucose syrup)
- 25 grams of cornstarch
- 25 grams of lactose-free butter, at room temperature
Extra requirements: a mixer or food processor with whisk, a piping bag with round nozzle
How do you make these profiteroles?
- Put 2 drops of lactase drops in the milk and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours. Now the milk is largely lactose-free and you can use it.
- For the crème patisserie, heat the milk and vanilla pod with the vanilla pulp in a pan. Bring this just short of the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and cornstarch with a mixer or in a food processor with a whisk for 3-4 minutes until white and creamy.
- Pour the milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stirring through a sieve.
- Pour this back into the pan and cook gently over medium heat, stirring with a whisk.
- Remove the pan from the heat and beat in the butter until melted. Let this cool in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Bring the water, salt and butter to the boil in a pan. Add the flour all at once and keep stirring for 1 minute with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir the dough when a ball detaches from the bottom.
- Now put the dough in a mixing bowl. Now stir in two eggs, one at a time with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until a nice shiny dough forms. Finally, add the baking powder.
- Put the dough in a piping bag with a large round nozzle.
- Pipe profiteroles of dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Leave enough space between the profiteroles as they will rise during baking.
- Bake the profiteroles in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes.
- After baking, leave the profiteroles to cool on a cake rack.
- Put the cooled crème patisserie in a piping bag with a small round nozzle.
- Cut the profiteroles open slightly at the bottom and pipe the crème patisserie and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- You can also make a tower of the profiteroles, decorated with some tufts of crème patisserie.