Living a life with lactose intolerance can be demanding, as it hinders the possibility of enjoying dairy products without facing digestive discomfort, Fortunately, there is hope in the form of a lactose enzyme supplement, (or rather: the lactase enzyme). You can take lactase in the form of an enzyme supplement for lactose intolerance to offer help in preventing symptoms and improving digestive function. In this article, we aim to explore the effectiveness of lactase enzyme supplements. These are considered the best supplements for lactose intolerance because the lactase enzyme is crucial in the digestion process of lactose.
a common misconception
‘Lactose enzyme supplements’ are actually named lactase enzyme supplements. This is a misconception most people make. If you are intolerant to lactose, it means that your body is not making enough of the lactase enzyme. Lactose is a sugar found in milk and dairy products. Lactase on the other hand is an enzyme produced in the small intestine. It helps break down the complex lactose sugar enabling people to digest lactose properly. If you are lactose intolerant you can incorporate lactase supplements into your diet, you can digest lactose effectively and no longer have a problem eating dairy products.
When considering the best supplement for lactose intolerance, it is important to explore the different lactase enzyme supplements and probiotic products available on the market. These products come in various forms, each with its own unique characteristics and usage:
- Lactase capsules are one of the most popular options in the battle against lactose intolerance. These capsules contain a concentrated dose of lactase enzyme and are taken orally before consuming lactose-containing foods or beverages. The lactase enzymes help the digestion of lactose-containing products in the small intestine.
- Lactase Drops are a liquid form of the lactase enzyme supplement. They are typically added directly to milk or other lactose-containing beverages, allowing the lactase enzyme to break down the lactose before consumption, after 24 hours a minimum of 80% of the lactose will be broken down. The drops need to be added in the appropriate dosage as recommended by the product instructions or healthcare professional.
- Probiotics may be another solution. Some probiotic strains make the lactase enzyme as a by-product in the small intestine. Supplements such as once-a-day can thus be a good solution for lactose intolerance. This supplement contains specifically selected probiotic strains which contribute to the digestion of lactose. Taking this once a day will cause the prebiotic strains to produce lactase as a byproduct, reducing the risk of symptoms.
choosing a supplement
When choosing a lactase enzyme supplement or probiotics, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Quality and Reputation: Opt for reputable brands that specialize in digestive health supplements. Seek out scientific literature and consult healthcare professionals for recommendations to ensure the credibility of the supplements.
- Enzyme Strength and Dosage: Evaluate the potency of the lactase enzyme in the supplement to ensure it meets your individual needs. Additionally, ensure that the recommended dosage aligns with the lactose content in your diet for optimal effectiveness. You can always contact one of our dietitians to find out what suits you best.
- Additional Ingredients: Pay close attention to the supplementary components, especially if you have known allergies or sensitivities. Select supplements with minimal fillers and unnecessary additives to minimize the risk of adverse reactions.
In addition to taking supplements that can help with your intolerance, you can always adjust your diet. Feel free to contact one of our dietitians and determine what works best for you! With this knowledge about the enzyme lactase and how it aids in the digestion of lactose, you can empower yourself to master lactose intolerance and enjoy food again.